From 2013 to 2015, the Commission focussed on encouraging debate within the voluntary sector on the implications of our ageing society. We conducted research into trends, developed a discussion paper with future scenarios to provoke new thinking, held and spoke at many events, published further research and papers, numerous blogs and secured coverage in publications ranging from The Guardian and The Times, to the NHS’ Scalpel magazine and Mature Times. The formal work of the Commission has now been completed but the research and thinking of the Commission remain relevant today.
Take action: Ideas for discussion
Whether you are a charity, funder or social enterprise, you will be affected by the demographic shifts in our society. Questions to consider:
- How will be changing population impact on your organisation?
- How can you future-proof your strategy and make sure you are ready for the future?
- How will your activities need to change over the next 20 years?
- What are the implications for staffing, governance and volunteers?
- What do you need to do now and in the next few years to respond and ensure you can keep fulfilling your mission in the future?